Another whoops I’ve been away a while update.
Mr Fim has come back from the FIFO lifestyle so we’ve been readjusting to to that over the past month. We’ve been readjusting our budgets and just getting back to life as a family unit. Further to that, this month I’ve been playing the #Minsgame – a game by the minimalists that aims to encourage decluttering. The initial game is to declutter 1 item on the 1st day of the month, 2 items on the 2nd and so forth. I’ve been taking it to a turbo charged level (beast mode if you will) and aiming to dispose of roughly 30 things a day. This has seen me get to more than 450 items in 7 days and feel like the place is getting lovely and decluttered. This is allowing more play area for Little Mister so we are all benefiting from the changes.
I hope over the next few days to begin to post a few helpful cost cutting posts inspired by talking to a group of people who really struggle on a meagre income. Stay tuned 🙂
Each week I like to look back at the week that was and reflect on whether or not I am still undertaking steps to get me to my financial goals. I am not superhuman and as such I have my fumbles as well as my fortunes and I think it’s important to learn from my mistakes as well as my successes.
- Low expenditure on groceries. At the moment I’m trying to bring my pantry and freezer stores down a tad and as such I’m trying to keep my grocery spend down.
- Bargain Grocery Buys – I bought a whole chicken at $2.80/kg which was nicely below my $4/kg ideal price. I cooked it up as a delicious roast, then stripped the meat for lunches as well as keeping the bones in the freezer to later turn into delicious chicken bone broth. I also managed to buy 2kg of greek yogurt that was reduced by $8.86! (was $13.98 bought for $5.12).
- Surveys – I’ve been persistent in my surveys and have built up a nice buffer of e-gift cards for future grocery shopping.
- A tub of icecream might have slipped into my grocery basket which then might have slipped into my stomach D: I’m trying to break my sugar addiction before I develop any health issues from it so this is one fumble I’m feeling doubly guilty of.
- An even bigger and more painful fumble – I dropped my iPhone off my balcony! I’m on a prepaid plan and the phone was 2.5 years old but I’m not risking putting (another!) $130 down on a new screen which might not actually fix the issue (the screen still worked but froze so I suspect bigger issues relating to being dropped a significant height by a butter fingers might be at play…) As such I’m keenly awaiting the arrival of my new non Apple phone.
How was your week?
Did you have any Fortunes or Fumbles?